Oct 18 2008

Better Know a Bean

by at 4:58 pm

Today, we went to the market in Lausanne.  Among vegetables, spices, and cheese, all of which we’re really excited to eat, our most remarkable discovery of the day was fresh, purple beans.  The internet cannot seem to tell me what kind of beans these are or how I might cook with them.  Do you know this beautiful bean better than I?

Leave a comment and share your knowledge!

Tags: ,

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Better Know a Bean”

1. Allisonon 20 Oct 2008 at 9:12 pm

those look like jelly beans!

2. Zachon 21 Oct 2008 at 8:54 pm

I think I got those at Dave’s Rock shop once. You boil them in cow lard, then let them dry in the sun for forty days. Afterwards, they are as tender and succulent as horse thighs. Mmm, mmm good!

3. Jackieon 21 Oct 2008 at 10:06 pm

Judy H didn’t leave a response, but she sent me two peoples’ suggestions. I didn’t find our beans, but I did discover an awesome bean web site. So if anyone wants to know where to go to get non-standard, heirloom beans, grains, and more, go to:

4. David-Rayon 17 Nov 2010 at 10:36 am

I don’t know anything about them but I’m growing them. They’re from seeds my grandmother collected. I’d ask her but she passed a year ago.

If you get an answer please let me know.

The flowers are bright red.

I have another bean with purple leaves pods and flowers. Only the beans themselves are black. I don’t much about them either, except that my grandmother collected the seeds.

Can’t wait too see what else she gathered.

5. David-Rayon 17 Nov 2010 at 10:54 am

How ’bout that? Check this site out: http://www.ranchogordo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RG&Product_Code=SCAB01&Category_Code=DHAHB4

According to them it is a Scarlet Runner Bean.

6. Jackieon 17 Nov 2010 at 11:14 am

Here they are called “soisson” beans, and they are one of the few beans that are ubiquitous in this area, but the internet does not seem to think much of the name “soisson.” They are mainly available in plain white, and otherwise, in this gorgeous mottled purple color. They might well be scarlet runner beans. I’d have to see and try them myself to be sure.

7. kellieon 28 Jan 2012 at 4:54 pm

I know this thread is old, but I thought I would share, I ahve soem of these beans from my cousin who works on a farm in Santa Cruz and the lovely purple beans are called Tekomari Scarlet Runner Beans!

8. Janneson 17 Nov 2012 at 9:11 pm

These are seeds of Phaseolus coccineus (= Scarlet Runner Bean). The white seeds are likely to flower white , the black and speckeled ones red. It is probably a mix between the white- and the red flowering coccineus and their crosses. On my website you can see different varieties of P. coccineus.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS